Monday, June 14, 2010

Geez Louise

I used to cycle on the road portion of the Louise Bridge, taking the full lane. However, cars often passed me, nearly hitting oncoming traffic. I emailed the Winnipeg Police Service, and they responded and said I could ride on the sidewalk.

Approaching the Louise Bridge from the north. Note the vegetation obscuring the view of oncoming sidewalk traffic.



Exiting the Louise Bridge via the sidewalk:


Rounding the corner - very slowly, as far right as practicable, aside from passing the people waiting for the bus to the left (street side). A cyclist passed me going the opposite direction on the sidewalk as I took this photo, so sticking to the right is essential.


Right before I merge back into traffic on the street. Again, sticking to the right, as a cyclist travelling in the opposite direction on the road needed to merge back onto my sidewalk on his or her way to the bridge.

2 comments:

  1. I used to ride on the east sidewalk over this bridge, but then I wanted to go down Sutherland, and it's pretty much impossible to cross at that thing that looks like it should be a crosswalk.

    Then I tried riding with the cars, but the cars coming up behind me were too scary.

    Now I go on the west sidewalk, but getting there from Nairn involves hopping curves, which makes me worry about my wheels.

    There's just no winning here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did the police really really say that in an email? That's amazing. I would have never thought they'd tell a cyclist to go against the highway traffic act!

    ReplyDelete